Saturday, March 3, 2012

Painting Plein Air in the Cinque Terre Villages

(click on image to enlarge)

Vernazza
Watercolour and ink
©1996 Charlene Brown

This unusual view of Vernazza, probably the most picturesque of the Cinque Terre Villages, is a result of the fear of painting in public that I had back in 1996.  And still have, come to think of it.
As I mentioned in my post about sketching on the island of Gozo, I tend to seek out a corner to back into when painting plein air so I won’t have to explain the (not always intentional) idiosyncrasies in my composition and techniques. It turned out I couldn’t really see the town, facing out to the harbour from the corner I found in Vernazza. I should probably have titled it 'View from Vernazza.'
I was horrified to hear of the devastating floods that hit the Cinque Terre Villages on October 25 last year, and have put off posting this story until I came across this encouraging news about the Cinque Terre Villages’ recovery, including information about how we can help.