Friday, May 2, 2014

An easy hike for the early elderly

(click on image to enlarge)

Rawson Lake
Watercolour and crayon
©2014 Charlene Brown

This pretty little lake is in Kananaskis Country, a group of Alberta Provincial Parks just east of Banff National Park. In 1998 I got together with an old Banff High School friend who still lived (and hiked regularly) in the Rockies, and she persuaded me to try the climb to Rawson to see this spectacular view.
Being a grandmother of three at the time, I considered myself to be getting on in years, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I handled the ascent from Upper Kananaskis Lake with no difficulty. Unfortunately, I was so impressed with myself that I agreed to continue up to Sarrail Ridge (on the extreme right in this painting) for what my friend promised would be an even more spectacular view.  I’ll tell you about that in a couple of weeks.