Thursday, March 4, 2010

Painting Essentials for two kinds of painting trips

Koi Watercolors™ Pocket Field Sketch box, TulumCeremonial Square, Tulum

Postcard

©2010 Charlene Brown

There are two kinds of painting trips – those involving some hiking or even climbing, where you carry all your stuff and paint on location, and those where you stay in one place long enough to spread out and do a ‘proper job,’ letting the paint dry between layers and other refinements. My recent trip to Mexico had a bit of both, but not enough of the latter to actually finish anything other than quite a few postcards.

The things I listed for ‘on location’ painting in my February 18 post worked out beautifully. I was especially pleased with my Koi Watercolors™ Pocket Field Sketch box. It was very easy to work with, even in a strong wind, as the postcards are held securely in the lid. We were lucky to have the strong winds, BTW, as it was extremely hot the day we went to Tulum.

The supplies I listed and took along for ‘studio’ painting, on the other hand, mostly didn’t see the light of day. This was only because of the time problem I mentioned, though. I’m taking all the same stuff on my next trip – because we’re going to be in the same place for three weeks!

I’m still working on a couple of larger paintings, which will give you a better idea of the spectacular setting of Tulum, and hope to have them finished and posted later today.