Thursday, February 26, 2009

What happens to plein air paintings after you get them home?

Unfinished Obelisk, Aswan, Egypt
computer painting
©2009 Charlene Brown










In my case – quite a few things, as I hardly ever complete anything but postcards on location. Two of the Egyptian archaeology sketches I did during last year’s University of Victoria travel study program have been turned into half-sheet watercolours. The others are being stylized into semi-abstracts.
I like the idea of ‘abstracting’ travel paintings, either on the computer, or as new watercolours or collages – but, having taken the trouble to get to the locations I paint, I like them to remain recognizable. This computer painting of the Unfinished Obelisk at Aswan started out as the fairly realistic sketch below. (I say 'fairly realistic' because you can’t actually see the whole thing from one spot, and have to climb around the length of the obelisk to see the top, which is the most interesting part). I’ll post paintings of Edfu, Luxor, Giza, and Kalabsha, when I settle on their degree of ‘abstraction.’