Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another angle on the Icefields Parkway

Peyto Lake, Banff National Park, Alberta
watercolour, ink and crayon
©2007 Charlene Brown










I put this painting of Peyto Lake on my website, Paint Every Mountain today, in place of a painting of the Columbia Icefield I’d decided I didn’t like as much as I thought I did when I last updated the site. This view of Peyto shows the distinctive, easily recognizable outline of the lake as seen from Bow Summit – which I always assumed was its actual shape. Imagine my surprise, on a recent Google Earth tour of the Rockies, to discover the odd blue thing shown below! I soon figured out that Peyto’s well-know perceived shape is exactly what you’d expect to see from a distance (X marks the spot) viewing on a downward angle of maybe ten degrees… I wish they’d had lovely subjects like this in Perspective Rendering 101 instead of cameras and egg cartons and other painful projects.



The real Peyto Lake