Sunday, June 6, 2021

This just in… Afghanistan is beautiful!


Bamiyan Valley
Watercolour, crayon and computer
©2021 Charlene Brown

I’ve written about and painted Afghanistan once before, in 2014, describing a scene in Kabul as ‘not a pretty sight’ like most of what I knew of Afghanistan. 

So I was surprised when, watching ‘The United States of Al’ a new program on TV (No, it’s not on either PBS or the Knowledge Network) I heard the Bamiyan Valley described as beautiful. I’d heard of the Bamiyan Valley before, but was only familiar with the gaping hollows in a cliff face, left when the huge ‘Buddhas of Bamiyan’ were  destroyed by the Taliban in 2001.  

The valley is in fact spectacularly beautiful, and very paintable, as are many mountain locations in Afghanistan, another one of which I’ll write about next week.