Sunday, January 5, 2020

Review of 2019/Plan for 2020



First light in a winter wonderland
Watercolour and oil pastel
©2020 Charlene Brown

This is the view of The Three Sisters, Ha Ling and the snow-covered evergreen and larch trees, from the hotel in Canmore where we spent a few days during our Christmas trip to Alberta. (Specifically, it’s the view from the hot tub.)

This post is a review of progress on various blog projects during 2019 and my plans for these projects in 2020:
·      Travel painting: I continued to paint mostly landscapes, writing about out-of-the-way British Columbia landscapes ‘less painted,’ as well as writing 10 blog posts about a June 2019 UVic travel study program trip to Newfoundland + Labrador  I also explored the painting possibilities on seven trips that are only in the planning, or even bucket-listed’ stage.
·      Clean energy haiku/haiga project: In November, I published ‘Inventing the Future with Clean Energy Haiku,‘ a book containing 50 illustrated poems using ‘found’ haiku and computer-stylized versions of my Canadian landscapes. It’s available on Amazon. 
·      I completed a first draft of an autofictional novel about the career planning and launching years in the lives of young women in six generations of my family. In 2020 I plan to complete this book – as a collection of six short stories beginning in 1898, 1925, 1958, 1987, 2017 and 2042 – as recommended in an editorial evaluation by Friesen Press here in Victoria.
·      A few years ago I put together a cross-cultural 'History of Design' timeline covering art and architecture from prehistoric times to the beginning of the twenty-first century.  I linked tables from this History of Design to six cross-cultural ‘time capsules’ I compiled in 2018. 
·      Compilation of Christmas letters since 1990: I plan to add a few paintings to the photos already in these letters, before editing them and putting them all together. Several 2019 blog posts were about 'missing' paintings of places I visited but didn’t paint at the time, and I plan to continue painting these additional pictures.