Wednesday, January 2, 2019

This is the 10th Anniversary of 1150 Words by Charlene Brown


Nile at Aswan
watercolour
©2008 Charlene Brown

I started this blog exactly 10 years ago on 2 January 2009, posting this painting of the Nile River at Aswan, as viewed from the roof of our hotel during a UVic travel study program in Egypt.

The rest of this post is a review of progress on various blog-to-book projects during 2018 and my plans for these projects in 2019:

Clean energy haiku/haiga project:  I have compiled 50 illustrated poems using ‘found’ haiku and computer-stylized versions of landscape paintings from all the provinces and territories of Canada into a first draft of a book, ‘Inventing the Future with Clean Energy Haiku.' I hope to have this ready for on-line publication and availability on Amazon later this year. 

I had hoped to complete a first draft of an auto-fictional journal, ‘What Could Possibly Go Wrong?’ about the career planning and launching years in the lives of girls in six generations of my family.  I do have what could be called a draft of the first four chapters (beginning in 1898, 1925, 1958 and 1987) but so far, the final chapters (beginning in 2017 and 2042) are still pretty much collections of random thoughts – and speculation. Maybe I'll get enough written that I'll be able to call the whole thing a first draft this year.

I compiled 24 archaeology-related paintings into six cross-cultural ‘time capsules’ representing the following time periods:


A few years ago I put together a cross-cultural 'History of Design' timeline covering art and architecture from prehistoric times to the beginning of the twenty-first century. To do this, I used either facts I'd learned while visiting archaeological sites or things I'd looked up when I was writing blog posts about them. I plan to link this ‘History of Design’ table to the above time capsules.