Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Summer Camp III

Angkor Wat
Watercolour and crayon
Charlene Brown

After returning from Whistler last week, we headed up-island for the Canada Day weekend and I was AFK for the second live Q&A session of Creative Content Camp, but did get a start on CCC Challenge 2 (Brainstorming image ideas for the next six months, based on planned events, travel etc. – keeping in mind how they will fit into the categories defined in Challenge 1) and downloaded Lesson 3 only one day behind schedule.

One of the categories I defined in Challenge 1 was ‘Real and imaginary travel painting adventures’ and one of the image ideas I thought of in Challenge 2 was the locations I will find in the Virtual Paintout each month.  Full disclosure: this is not a ‘new’ idea – I have participated in almost 100 of these paintouts. The idea of writing a book in which the virtual adventures are combined with real ones is new. Trust me, finding a virtual location to paint on Google Streetview is sometimes quite an adventure. The Virtual Paintout is in Cambodia this month.  Here is a link to the Google Streetview I painted(This one was actually pretty easy to find.)

CCC Challenge 3 is to develop 10 ideas for stories about our studios, and publish one of them.  My story is about my one-colour studio...
I do not in fact have a painting studio at home. I can prepare paper and draw and mask pictures, but almost all my painting is done at a seniors centre where there is a huge studio with a tile floor and big windows opening onto a patio, flower garden and forest. A family of fallow deer are frequent visitors, but this is a bad thing.  In fact here in Victoria, grazing deer are considered to be a threat to civilization as we know it, but I digress...
At home, the only surfaces in rooms suitable for painting are the kitchen table and the counter in the guest bathroom. Both these have just enough room for my painting board and one small saucer, and I like to work with a palette that is almost as big as a half-sheet painting.  I do have a couple of tiny little palettes with carefully rationed portions of maybe eight colours, but these are saved for painting hikes and other transportation challenges.  So I’m stuck with one saucer with one colour squeezed out on it. 
Oddly enough, this is not a bad thing.  I find that one colour is exactly what many paintings (Angkor Wat, for example) need when I get them home and look at them with ‘fresh eyes.’  And the one colour is usually purple.