Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A memorable group shape


Boarders and Skiers at Lake Louise
Watercolour, ink and crayons
Charlene Brown (based on a photograph in the Globe & Mail)

The guidelines for adding figures to landscapes that I mentioned in my blog post about boarders and skiers at Park City, Utah  included the suggestion to look for connections between people in terms of relationships and body language and identify the big shape that is the group of people, rather than the shapes of individuals.

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this photo - the shape of the group.

The second thing I thought of was that when I was a kid learning to ski the then-new (and still regarded with awe) Banff Chairlift, if any of us had flopped into a chair like that, totally ignoring the safety bar and footplate, we’d have been sent packing back to the rope-tow.