Thursday, June 11, 2015

Virtual Paintout still in Estonia

(click on image to enlarge)
Old Town of Tallinn
Watercolour and crayon sketch
Charlene Brown

I was in Tallinn once, on a Baltic cruise, and I remember walking up to the beautiful Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Cathedral. I was thinking of painting that (despite promising myself not to try anything so elaborate after sketching the cathedral of the same name in Sofia last year) but discovered that the Google camera hadn’t really been able to get any great shots of it. At that point, I remembered something else about our day in Tallinn... the streets are so narrow that you hardly see anything of the Alexander Nevsky cathedral until you’re practically on the front steps!  Attempts to view the cathedral from open areas around town such as this square in the Old Town weren’t any more successful, but I did like the view of the square itself. Here's the link to this Google Streetview