Thursday, January 29, 2015

Flying home from Las Vegas

(click on image to enlarge)
Over either Nevada or California
Watercolour
©2015 Charlene Brown

The TV screens on the seatbacks with the maps showing where you are weren’t working on our flight back to Canada, so I do not in fact know where this beautiful little lake is located. I’m pretty sure we hadn’t got as far as Oregon yet when I took the picture, but I’m not even sure of that.

(click on image to enlarge)
Landing in Vancouver
Watercolour
©2015 Charlene Brown

This scene I recognized easily – the Tsawwassan ferry terminal and Roberts Bank, with the Gulf Islands in the background.


After finishing these paintings, I decided my January 8 painting of Las Vegas needed some work, so I added some more lights with white and pink gouache spatter. This turned out to be an exponential process – by which I mean I was very tentative at first, gently flicking a few carefully-aimed drops of paint onto The Strip… then switched to a fully-loaded toothbrush and was soon zapping my way through about a quarter tube of gouache. Here is the exponentially-adjusted version of Christmas in Las Vegas