Thursday, November 29, 2012

Experimental sun-lighting for beginners

(click on image to enlarge)


September snowfall
Watercolour, crayon and computer
Charlene Brown

I painted this a few years ago from a photo of famously-turquoise Moraine Lake, taken after an early snowfall before freeze-up. The painting was nowhere near as spectacular as you’d expect, because the sunlight wasn’t strong enough to cast nice sharp shadows. The only good shadow reference photos I was able to find were taken in summer under a much higher sun.  So I decided to make some up.
In order to keep my options open, I put in the shadows on this jpeg file only… the original is still its same old flat white self.  Someday, when I’m a little surer of the shadows, I’ll use actual paint (Daniel Smith Moonglow, I think) instead of just Photoshop Polygonal Lasso Select>Edit>Fill.