Thursday, January 15, 2009

Finishing up my Paintings of Egypt




Deir El-Bahri, from Karnak
Watercolour and crayon
©2009 Charlene Brown


During my University of Victoria travel study in Egypt, I completed eight crayon & watercolour sketches in a 15 x 25 cm coil-bound Arches ‘Carnet de Voyage,’ and have since been working on some larger watercolours and computer paintings (which I will include in a blog if they turn out). 
Most of my paintings relate to the archaeology of ancient Egypt, including this one, based on a photo of the mortuary temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahri on the west bank of the Nile. I like the idea that Hatshepsut’s temple lines up with the huge Karnak Temple across the river, and took the photo from the entrance to Karnak. 
In fact, you can barely see Deir el-Bahri from that point, and you can’t see the Nile at all – but it seemed a good time for some artistic license…