Thursday, April 9, 2009

Open International Juried Competition




Castle Mountain Sunrise

Watercolour and crayon

©2009 Charlene Brown








This is the painting I’ve been working on for the 7th Annual Canadian Federation of Artists Painting on the Edge competition. Painting on the Edge is open to all living artists worldwide: the deadline this year is June 5.
And they accept email entries! I first became aware of this five years ago, and I’ve entered every year since – and been rejected every time. In the process, I’ve accumulated a sizable Salon des Refusés, which just might make its way into a slideshow on my blog. In the case of Castle Mountain Sunrise, after failing to overcome the odd plaid effect in the Bow River (I even thought of implying I’d done it on purpose by titling the painting McBow River Sunrise) I decided to cut out the middleman and consign it directly to the Salon. I may try another one – I’ve got until June 5. And so have you – I’d love to hear from anyone who decides to enter this competition after first hearing about it on my blog!