Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Drawn and quartered in Seattle

Medieval stretching apparatus
Photoshopped™ photograph
©2024 Charlene Brown

On September 27, I flew to Seattle (23 minutes on Alaska Airlines), cleared U.S.Customs and proceeded to the Departures floor to check in for my flight to Madrid where I was to begin a two-week Art Gallery of Greater Victoria tour of Spain.  Here is what happened instead.

In the middle of the main concourse I turned slightly, but the thick treads on the running shoes I was wearing (because they were too big to pack) grabbed the polished floor and did not turn, even slightly.  And I did a face plant over the suitcase I was rolling. 

An agent from the nearby Delta desk cautioned me against trying to get up, called 911 and, most importantly, stayed with me (answering questions from the many people milling about) until the paramedics arrived.  An ambulance took me to St. Anne Hospital where it was determined by several x-rays and a CAT scan that I didn’t have a concussion but did have a fractured radius in my left arm.  

An ER doctor warned that for their next trick they would be using the Medieval torture apparatus pictured on the left.  Soon I was strung up to five chain mail cylinders which grabbed and held the fingers of my left hand, stretching my suspended (and weighted) arm while the parts of the radius were prodded back in line.  The pain was nowhere near what I was expectng after that grizzly introduction. Apparently their bone-setting expertise includes highly skilled management of expectations.

The next day Alaska Airlines accepted my return ticket to Victoria (dated today, Octoner 16), and put me on the first available flight home.