Monday, November 18, 2013

Virtual Paintout in Iceland

(click on image to enlarge)
Þjóðvegur
Watercolour
©2013 Charlene Brown

This month the Virtual Paintout is in Iceland. I wonder if anyone besides me headed straight for the famous Blue Lagoon… It must be the most photographed place in all of Iceland, and I thought it would probably be very paintable. Well, it turns out to be yet another place that the Google camera car didn’t really get to, and the view from the parking lot showed only the huge geothermal power plant – impressive, but not a pretty sight – with not so much as a glimpse of the huge expanse of warm cerulean water I had hoped to find.

Fortunately there turned out to be countless spectacular views of waterfalls and jagged lava  formations all along the south shore. Here’s a link to the one I painted.