Sunday, October 18, 2020

Maybe next year...

Boom Lake
Watercolour and crayon
©2020 Charlene Brown

This is another place my daughter and her family have been this summer, and unlike most of their hikes, this is one I hope to do myself, sometime when we’re getting out and about more.

The mountains in the Continental Divide in the background of this painting were identified in a hikers’ guide as Boom Mountain (Alberta), Chimney Peak (British Columbia) and Mount Quadra (British Columbia).  

Curious to see if Mount Quadra was named after Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra, like a lot of places here on the west coast (in the 1700s Vancouver Island was originally named Quadra’s and Vancouver’s Island) I checked it out. Apparently it was mistakenly thought to have been named after him but was actually named Quadra in 1910 because it has four peaks.  

The four peaks are not obvious in the Boom Lake view, but from Consolation Lake, it looks like my painting on the right.

I was always under the impression that mountain was named Bident.  Turns out only the peak on the left (in the centre of the painting) is Bident, and it’s in Alberta.  Who knew?