Wednesday, October 14, 2020

High alpine cirque reached with minimal effort


  Ptarmigan cirque
Watercolour and crayon
©2020 Charlene Brown

I decided to paint the cirque I mentioned in my September 16 blog post.  I Googled Ptarmigan Cirque and one of the comments about it on a hiking website, “Excellent for kids!” reminded me of what I’d said about another comment a few years ago. 

I decided to use that post again, including the title, High Alpine cirque reached with minimal effort:

I found the ‘minimal effort’ comment on a Kananaskis Country website, probably written by one of those sporty Boomers I’ve had problems with before.  He (or she, but probably he) was referring to the already high road access… The Ptarmigan Cirque trailhead is at an elevation of 2206 m on the Highwood Pass, the highest drivable mountain pass in Canada. I’ve only climbed up to the Ptarmigan Cirque once, and I don’t recall the effort being particularly minimal.