Thursday, June 30, 2016

Summer Camp I

Conducting research at the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre  
The be-jewelled cape in this photo is a symbolic replacement for the mountain goat’s hair, used in traditional Coast Salish weaving.* 

I signed up for an on-line art blogging workshop called Creative Content Camp with ArtBiz coach Alyson B. Stanfield at the last minute and hit the ground running (in confused little circles) on June 17, just in time to download Lesson 1.

Upon studying the schedule I realized that I was going to miss the Lesson 1 Q&A session as I’d be AFK from 7am June 21 to 7pm June 23 on an Art Gallery of Greater Victoria expedition to a Picasso show at the Vancouver Art Gallery and a tour of the new Audain Art Museum and the Squamish/Lil’wat Cultural Centre in Whistler.

Fortunately this interruption tied in nicely with Activity 2 of Lesson 1, which was to ‘research what’s going on in your local art scene - if you are within driving distance of a major metropolitan area or know you’ll be visiting one in the near future, research the museums in that city‘ in preparation for Challenge 1: Mind-mapping content categories. 

*The mountain goat hair used by the Coast Salish weavers was gathered from trees the animals rubbed against to help shed their winter coats, should you be wondering how they obtained it – I know I certainly was.