Wednesday, May 11, 2016

'Found' Haiku

St. John’s Harbour (again)
Watercolour and Photoshop™
©2016 Charlene Brown

You can find poetry in newspapers and on-line news feeds almost every day! I first read about graphene capacitors in an Upworthy article on ‘solar power without sunlight’  and after looking up a few of the terms in the article, decided to add this idea to my haiku-generating computer program 

A quick review, the haiku poems (actually, haiku-like non sequiturs) my program writes consist of three lines, containing:
a clean energy-related concept (5 syllables)
a tangentially related environmental or economic concept (7)
a transformation (5)
The article on solar power without sunlight yielded the following five and seven syllable phrases:
            layer of grapheme
            graphene fake capacitor

I haven’t had time to paint a picture this week as I’m doing an NYU/Scientific American online course on The Psychology of Creativity.  So I’ve turned a previously-posted painting into a computer-stylized haiga to illustrate my ‘found’ haiku.