Sunday, July 10, 2011

10 Painting things to take to Honduras

(click on image to enlarge)
Whitewater Rafting on the Urubamba, painted following a previous intergenerational expedition
Watercolour, crayon and ink
©2009 Charlene Brown

I'm setting out this evening with our 10-year-old grandson on a Road Scholar (used to be Elderhostel) intergenerational adventure, Exploring Honduras: Coral Reefs and Mayan Ruins. I've assembled what I hope will be the perfect array of art supplies for the trip. I’m hoping my grandson will paint too, and my list of things we’ll need is based on a couple of the blog posts I wrote two years ago when I took his older brother to Peru – 12 Painting things to take to Peru and 5 things I learned about painting in the Andes.

  1. coil bound watercolour sketch book with map and archaeology notes about the Mayan civilization
  2. watercolour postcards
  3. pencils, sharpener, and eraser
  4. crayons and Masquepen masking fluid to use as resists. The wax crayon resist stays in the picture, but I’ll take a piece of crepe to remove the Masqupen when the paintings are dry
  5. Koi watercolor pocket field sketch box, with waterbrush
  6. palette in a Ziploc bag – with a few favourites that are not included in Koi set – Perylene green, cobalt blue deep, Opera, metallic copper, and Quinacridone Gold.
  7. flat and round paint brushes in plastic holder
  8. glue stick .for collage
  9. Ziploc bags for ephemera – extra stuff and things not immediately suitable for collage. (Plasticized ice cream bar wrappers, for example, have great designs, but can only be glued after scanning and printing on more suitable paper)
  10. Camera with extra battery and charger. Apparently Honduras has the same wiring as North America, so this should be easier than previous battery charging efforts…