Monday, June 7, 2010

A Surprise near Acapulco

Ruins at Tehuacalco

Watercolour, crayon and ink

©2010 Charlene Brown

I think that Tehuacalco was the highlight of our cruise – partly because it was a surprise. Most people consider transiting the Panama Canal to be the best part of the repositioning cruises. And that was indeed a fascinating experience, which certainly lived up to expectations… But it was just that – expected.

I don’t think I’d ever even heard of Tehuacalco before I began planning shore excursions for this trip. It was a centre of the Yope Civilization, and flourished between 650 and 1100 CE, but was only discovered in 1991. The site was opened to the public in late 2008, following digging and restoration beginning in 2006. It’s been beautifully restored – some would say too beautifully, but I think it’s just right. And the setting is spectacular, on a hilly plateau surrounded by volcanoes. According to the signage, the shape of the main building, “El Palacio refleja la simetría del volcán, La Compuerta” (reflects the symmetry of the volcano). I think that’s perfect.