Saturday, September 11, 2021

Cross-cultural Time Capsule of the Second Millennium BCE

 

Click on image to enlarge

A few years ago I put together a cross-cultural 'History of Design' timeline covering art and architecture from prehistoric times to the beginning of the twenty-first century.  Three years ago I painted pictures of some of the entries in the pages of that timeline

Then I highlighted the illustrated entries in the timeline to show where these ‘time capsules’ fit into the big picture. 


Recently, I noticed that I’d left the second Millennium BCE out of that series of paintings, so I have started it now.  I looked through my files to see what paintings I might already have of that period… and found exactly one Deir El-Bahri, as seen from KarnakThis painting is based on a photo of the mortuary temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahri on the west bank of the Nile.  I like the idea that Hatshepsut’s temple lines up with the huge Karnak Temple across the river, and took the photo from the entrance to Karnak. In fact, you can barely see Deir el-Bahri from that point, and you can’t see the Nile at all – but it seemed a good time for some artistic license.

Starting next week, I’ll paint the other three highlighted entries in the timeline above.