Sunday, December 27, 2020

Review of 2020: Be Kind. Be calm. Be safe

Christmas in Innsbruck
Watercolour and crayon
©2018 Charlene Brown

This painting was one of the illustrations in Chapter 3 of the YA novel I finished this year.

The title of this blog post, 'Be Kind. Be calm. Be safe' the daily message from our Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, seems to have gotten British Columbia through this unprecedented year in better shape than most.

And here’s what I painted and wrote about on my blog in 2020. 

·     Travel painting: I’ve continued to paint locations I’d planned to see, 

although most of this year’s plans are still on my bucket list.

·        I finished a YA novel about the career planning and launching years in the lives of girls in six generations of my family—in fact I finished Chapter 5, part of which takes place in 2020, several times, as schools and universities opened and closed. Hoping it will be published before the 'I Read Canadian' children’s and YA book promotion in February.

·        Compilation of Christmas letters from 1990: I added a few paintings to the photos already in these letters, before editing them and putting them all together. This turned out to be a much larger project than I thought it would be, but with 2020 being the kind of year it was, I also had lots more time available to do it.  I was able to complete 30 years worth of letters – 95 pages!