Sunday, September 22, 2019

Missing from 1992


Nakhal Fort
Watercolour and oil pastel
©2019 Charlene Brown

I began writing detailed Christmas letters in 1990, the year we moved to Dubai. These letters always had lots of photos, but very seldom included any paintings.  My next project is to compile them all and add images of paintings relating to the adventures chronicled.  In cases where I don’t have any paintings that I like, I’ll paint new ones. This is the first.

Nakhal Fort is one of the places we visited during a road trip to Oman in 1992. It is located on a rocky prominence on a spur of the Hajar Mountains about 120 kilometres west of Muscat.  

Although this fort was originally built in the pre-Islamic period, most of what can be seen today was built less than 200 years ago.  The archaeology of Oman and the UAE at the south end of the Persian Gulf, is nowhere near as ancient as that found in Iraq and Iran at the north end.