Thursday, December 17, 2015

Japan sketchbook - 1




Imperial East Garden in Tokyo
Watercolour, crayon and ink sketch
©2015 Charlene Brown

I’ve finally finished the ‘panorama format’ sketchbook paintings I started during our Art Gallery of Greater Victoria tour of Japan in early November. I'm scheduling them to be posted here between now and the end of the year – while we head south to meet our daughter and her family for Christmas in San Diego. (Yay!)

After what was for many of us the longest flight ever, our tour began with a leisurely stroll in the beautiful Imperial East Garden in the heart of Tokyo.  Initially I was taken aback by how green everything was, as I was looking forward to spectacular fall colours, but was assured by our guide that the season was much further along higher up in the mountains where we would be spending most of our time. 

I had brought along an array of orange and pink crayons, and did in fact find lots of applications for them, as you will see in a couple of days…