Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Year-end Review

(click on image to enlarge)

Balboa Park
Watercolour and crayon
©2012 Charlene Brown

Here's how I think I did with respect to following my plan for 2012:
As usual, I tried to paint more spontaneously and to move away from representational painting, and made some progress in stylizing landscapes by working on more than one picture at a time.  I’m quite happy with the way Balboa Park (based on photos I took during our Christmas trip to San Diego, California) turned out, and have another in the works, which I will post early in the New Year.
My favourite travel journaling was very close to home – the first six of these British Columbia posts.  
I’ve continued to participate in the Virtual Paintout, completing all 12 of the 2012 locations: Colorado, Elba, St. Petersburg, Gdansk, Jerusalem,Latvia, Thailand, Tasmania,Zealand, Croatia,New Brunswick, and Slovakia.
In May, I turned a couple of full sheet watercolours I painted about 15 years ago into same size (and much more striking) posters.
By far my biggest undertaking was to get a good start on a small book, Plein air Painting: the drama, a compilation of some of the stories I’ve written about painting en plein air over the four years I’ve been writing 1150 Words.