Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Plan for 2011

(click on image to enlarge)

Swimming in Haleakala National Park
Watercolour and crayon
©2011 Charlene Brown
Jane Dunnewold wrote an interesting post about focussing on her blog Existential Neighborhood, in which she said Don’t be the old woman in the shoe – with so many projects you don’t know what to do. Think about each project, and decide what you want to do MOST right now. Think about concentrating your efforts on one interest – either for a specific period of time… or until you’ve finished it or mastered it. So I’m keeping The Plan for 2011 simple and, as steps 4 and 5 are kind of experimental, I’m going to complete 4 before I start 5.
1. Paint more spontaneously (beginning with Swimming in Haleakala National Park).
2. Do more journaling: I have a couple of expeditions planned for 2011, a July trip to Israel with one of my grandchildren, and river cruising on the Danube and Rhine in October. I hope to continue journaling my travels and will have more flashbacks as well.
3. Continue to participate in group blogs such as Virtual Paintout and The Art of the Landscape:
4. Write more how-to articles. My next ‘how-to’ project will be about poster production, involving a combination of computer collage and lettering – during which I’ll be learning how myself!
5. Paint more videos. I’m planning on putting together some how-to steps for producing computer-painted videos for Youtube. I hope to composite video clips with my drawn and painted videos, and am looking at the travel plans I mentioned to decide on backgrounds.
As you may have noticed, I’ve temporarily turned off ‘Comments’ on this blog. I love hearing from you, and I’m happy to say some of you have found ways around this – mainly emails direct to travelpainting@shaw.ca or Robyn Sinclair’s unique approach, one of my favourites. I plan to re-instate Comments, partly for the excellent reasons outlined in Alyson Stanfield’s ArtBiz blog, and will decide when to proceed with this based on the feedback I’m getting from various directions…